What is Science?
·Science as a body of knowledge that is acquired through systematic observations of the natural world around us
·Scientific mode of inquiry as used by scientists
·Scientific method as a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge or correcting and integrating previous knowledge
·Examples of scientific discoveries
·Components of the Scientific Method – Designing, Implementing, Reporting and Evaluating
What is the scientific method?
The scientific method is the best way yet discovered for winnowing the truth from lies and delusion. The simple version looks something like this:
- 1. Observe some aspect of the universe.
- 2. Invent a tentative description, called a hypothesis, that is consistent with what you have observed.
- 3. Use the hypothesis to make predictions.
- 4. Test those predictions by experiments or further observations and modify the hypothesis in the light of your results.
- 5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no discrepancies between theory and experiment and/or observation.